UK Petition

This is where we get to sit back, relax and talk about anything other than blogging.
GiveABrick

UK Petition

Postby GiveABrick » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:11 am

Hi guys,
I wonder if you might be able to help me? There's a device here in the UK, called The Mosquito, which targets the hearing of young people under the age of 25. It was created to manage anti-social behaviour but is indiscriminate and as a result, is heard by anyone under 25, not just the ones deemed 'naughty' ;)

Although it's been around since 2006, I only learned of it last month. I wrote an article for the GAB blog called Are they using this weapon on your four year old? It explains more of the background to the device. Since writing it, I've been in contact with the inventor of the device and last night he launched an online petition to ask the UK government to pass legislation controlling The Mosquito. He's been battling for legislation for the last 3 years but until now, nothing. An MP called Natasha Engel has got involved so this issue is being heard more than previously.

Anyway, if you live in the UK, please would you consider signing the petition? If you're an expat or in the Armed Forces, you too can sign :)

The link for the petition is long so if you go to today's post called Legislation for a weapon, you'll see an clickable link to take you to the petition.

As I say in the blog post, if you can't sign because you don't live in the UK, you can still help spread the word via Twitter, Facebook etc.

I've even written some sample tweets and included them on the post page.

Many thanks,
Eleanor
--
Eleanor Edwards
Did you Give A Brick yet?

Support the first charity that asks you to Give A Brick (i.e. just £1) then ask your friends to do the same.

Give A Brick is a UK registered charity #1121744

Search for us on Twitter, Facebook, MySpace or YouTube.

Sire
Site Admin

Re: UK Petition

Postby Sire » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:49 pm

Sounds like a great cause. I give it a tweet a bit later. Wish you all the luck with the petition.

GiveABrick

Postby GiveABrick » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:05 am

Sire wrote: I give it a tweet a bit later. Wish you all the luck with the petition.

Thank you and thank you. I know I said that already but I was enjoying playing with the quote button so much, I wanted to do it again. I'm procrastinating really. I've got loads of blog posts to write. Just killing time. Why do we do that?! Or maybe it's just me :roll:
--
Eleanor Edwards
Did you Give A Brick yet?

Support the first charity that asks you to Give A Brick (i.e. just £1) then ask your friends to do the same.

Give A Brick is a UK registered charity #1121744

Search for us on Twitter, Facebook, MySpace or YouTube.

Sire
Site Admin

Postby Sire » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:28 pm

GiveABrick wrote:
Sire wrote: I give it a tweet a bit later. Wish you all the luck with the petition.

Thank you and thank you. I know I said that already but I was enjoying playing with the quote button so much, I wanted to do it again. I'm procrastinating really. I've got loads of blog posts to write. Just killing time. Why do we do that?! Or maybe it's just me :roll:

No, I kind of like the quote button as well, and I also waste too much time 'killing time" when I should be doing something else.

TylinaVespart

Postby TylinaVespart » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:23 am

Quote button has reached the stage of being normal for me sadly... ah well. Killing time is fun though :D

SherylLoch

Postby SherylLoch » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 pm

Hi Eleanor,
I remember about a year ago there was a news story on this device (or very similar), They placed it in a area at a strip mall where teens gather....................none of the teens even noticed.

They had also tried some kind of lighting that didn't phase the teens either.

I know my 15 y/o would never hear anything if it didn't come through her ear buds.

I don't know what effect this noise maker would have on little kids that haven't been screamed at for years or had their ears blasted with music.

To me it is BS....if places don't want kids around then hall them off & fine them if they are breaking the rules. When their parents get tired of bailing them out they will tell their evil spawn to hang out somewhere else. :twisted:

Sheryl

ps. I almost never use the Quote button....I am so uncool!

Return to “The Bloggers Lounge”