Monetization - Who recommends what?

This is where we get to sit back, relax and talk about anything other than blogging.
Jeremy

Monetization - Who recommends what?

Postby Jeremy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi guys,

I wasn't sure where to put this, but there were no posts in this section so I figured why not stick it in here. I'd like to monetize Listen To Me Bitch this week and it seems that there are a plethora of options of how to do that. Thus, I figured I would come and ask my blogging friends before I start googling for answers.

1) What type of ads do you recommend?
2) Which companies are best to work with?
3) Are there any good plugins to help place the ads on the site and/or track the CTR or number of impressions?
4) Anything else I should know?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Sire
Site Admin

Re: Monetization - Who recommends what?

Postby Sire » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:05 pm

Hiya Jeremy, I don't know what everyone else is going to recommend but I will give you my selections.

1. Google Adsense is the obvious one to start with.
2. Chitika is another of my favorites and very similar to Google.
3. Kontera which is a in-text advertising system. They will find words within you post that will be turned into a link. If anyone clicks on it you will get paid a small amount.
4. Infolinks which is very similar to Kontera.
5. ClixGalore is pretty good and offers you heaps of affiliate programs to join.
6. Commission Junction is just like ClixGalore and I made one sale last month which netted me $100 commission. It was actually my first ever sale through them but it certainly paid well.

Just Commission Junction and ClixGalore alone will expose you to a whole heap of potential affiliates that you can promote on your blogs.

I hope these are of some help and as you would assume I am affiliated with some of them.

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:13 am

So after several weeks of running AdSense on one of my sites, I have earned $0 and have 1 click which may have been me...with 1000s of pageviews...any recommendations?

Sire
Site Admin

Postby Sire » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:46 pm

Jeremy wrote:So after several weeks of running AdSense on one of my sites, I have earned $0 and have 1 click which may have been me...with 1000s of pageviews...any recommendations?

Which site is it on?

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:37 pm

Lvlizard.com

Sire
Site Admin

Postby Sire » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:45 am

First off, may I say what an interesting Bio, that was a good read. Second, it seems that the blog is relatively new so you may need a bit more patience. I remember it took me a hell of a long time before I started making a bit of cash out of adsense. Perhaps using the skyscraper ad may help. It actually took me awhile to find it the first time as the ad portrayed simply didn't stand out. It may also pay to put ads within the post, there are some plugins that will do this automatically for you. I use on on wassup.

I wish this forum was a lot busier than what it is, perhaps someone with a bit more expertise can help you out.

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:10 am

Sire-

Thanks as always for your advice. I figured I wouldn't generate a substantial revenue from AdSense for a long time, but figured I'd pick up a few cents here and there. Perhaps I'm impatient. I'm going to start beta testing an ad manager plugin and rotate adsense in with affiliate banners, chitika, etc rather than using adsense exclusively. We'll see how that goes, I also noticed that frequently adsense has no ads to show and thus displays public service ads or no ads at all.
Thanks,

Jeremy

Sire
Site Admin

Postby Sire » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:03 pm

No problem, that is what I am here for. As far as ad placement, I reckon you have it at the best spot. Getting the right plugins helps in that you can choose when and where you want the ad displayed. Also works well with chitika or even banner ads.

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:37 pm

Unfortunately the plugin didn't work out, upon install it conflicted with other plugins...and when I say that I don't mean 1 or 2, I mean all of them...so it's a bust. I was using adsense manager but now that I'm moving away from adsense wanted more of a comprehensive ad management solution. I set up the OpenX hosted ad server today and tried using their plugin, but it doesnt seem to work.

Any ad management plugins you recommend?

Sire
Site Admin

Postby Sire » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:49 am

Strangely enough I happen to have done a post about a plugin that I have used with a fair bit of success. I called the post Blogging The Money Way With Plugins, and I figure now is a good time to give it a bit of a plug. ;)

Return to “The Bloggers Lounge”